LGBTQ leaders share support for Congressman Capuano
Ahead of marching in the Pride Parade, Congressman Capuano received support from the Bay State Stonewall Democrats
BOSTON – Saturday, June 9, 2018 – This morning at a community Pride breakfast in Boston’s South End, U.S. Rep. Michael E. Capuano received support from Massachusetts LGBTQ leaders, including the Bay State Stonewall Democrats (BSSD). Citing his record as a champion for all, the BSSD endorsed Rep. Capuano’s campaign for reelection.
“Mike has always been an advocate and ally for all people, and the Bay State Stonewall Democrats are proud to endorse Mike in his reelection campaign,” said Bay State Stonewall Co-Chair Jeremy Comeau. “Mike has always stood on the right side of justice, from repealing DOMA to fighting against President Trump’s transgender military ban. With Mike in Washington, we have a true champion.”
“On every issue that matters, Mike is on the front lines, ready to fight for what is right,” said Massachusetts State Representative Liz Malia. “Mike’s courage and compassion have made him an ally to the LGBTQ community throughout his career, and I’m proud to stand with him today.”
“Equal rights for everyone is a fight that continues to this day,” said Rep. Capuano. “I’m proud of Massachusetts’ leadership in advocating for LGBTQ rights, but with President Trump in office, we need to keep fighting to stop discrimination. I’m honored to have the support of so many in our communities — together we’ll champion inclusion and acceptance for all.”
Rep. Capuano’s work to advance LGBTQ rights include:
- Co-sponsoring legislation to repeal the so-called “Defense of Marriage Act” (DOMA) which the Supreme Court later ruled unconstitutional;
- Fighting against a Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage, and fighting against banning gay adoptions in D.C.;
- Working to repeal Don’t Ask Don’t Tell;
- Supporting the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would make it unlawful to discriminate against an individual on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation, including actions based on the actual or perceived sexual orientation;
- Achieving a 100% rating from the Human Rights Campaign, a near-perfect score from the American Civil Liberties Union, and the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts has honored Mike with their Champion of the Constitution award.
Rep. Capuano has been endorsed for re-election by an array of labor organizations, progressive champions, and leading elected officials such as Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh, former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, the Massachusetts Nurses Association, the National Education Association and the Massachusetts Teachers Association.
About the Bay State Stonewall Democrats
The Bay State Stonewall Democrats (BSSD) advocates within the Democratic Party on behalf of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) community. BSSD promotes the ideals and programs of the Democratic Party to the LGBTQ+ communities throughout Massachusetts.
Contact: Audrey Coulter, 774-266-1931